Around the world, today officially marks Blue Monday, the third Monday of January when weather is often at its peak of bleak, the post holiday hype has cooled off and those dreaded bills begin to roll in wreaking havoc on new found (New Year) optimism.
This year, beat the #MondayBlues with these simple tips and savour the day with a cup of vibrant green matcha instead!
1. Try and focus on the positive (little) things in your life instead of letting yourself get overwhelmed. Break things down into smaller lists and map out a plan of action.
2. Use Blue Monday as a day to make changes rather than let it be a hinderance to moving forward with goals. If you've delayed getting back into a bit of an exercise routine, squeeze something in for yourself, make an attempt to quit a bad habit, write a thoughtful card to a loved one or friend, read a few pages from a book.
3. Eat healthy and nutritious food. If you're doing your weekly shop - make a concerted effort to by whole (non processed) foods and plan a few meals for the week ahead to help get you in a positive mindset. Head to sites like Pinterest for some culinary inspiration or peruse some of our matcha-based recipes here.
4. Work up a sweat! Getting your heart rate pumping is a great way to feel positive energy thanks to all those endorphins created. Though the days may be colder, more dull and shorter - you can still enjoy a brisk 15-20 minute walk or run outside or on a treadmill.
5. Drink matcha tea! Aside from the fact that matcha tea is widely known to benefit cholesterol levels and metabolism, it also contains thiamine: a type of amino acid and powerful mood-booster. Thiamine helps increase levels of dopamine, serotonin, and other important chemicals related to maintaining a healthy mood and abating stress and anxiety. Learn more about how matcha can help here.
So beat #BlueMonday and see green by making it a #WhiskMonday! Join our matcha community online and find us on Instagram.